Saturday, December 31, 2016

Christmas/New Year 2016 Letter


           
Turning 65 is a marker, in many ways. One begins thinking about the next phase of life. One also begins to look back. I am thankful for the churches of which I have had a privilege to be part. I am thankful for the bishops and superintendents under whom I have served. It has not all been good, of course, but as I look back, I see the hand of God.

            On a personal note, as I look over the 55 years of being a Christian, I keep learning what it means to live with Jesus and to view the world with Jesus.

Jesus keeps teaching me about love. Love means that something matters, moving against our nagging suspicion that nothing matters. In fact, a moral sickness or malady is to move toward apathy and isolation. Love heals that sickness. When we love, we are in tune with, for God is love. Love binds Father, Son, and Spirit, with the Spirit inviting us to participate in this love. Prayer is an expression of love to God and neighbor. Yes, God loves this world, and we join God in that love.

However, today, I focus on sharing a bit about this year.

            I maintain a few blogs. I will mention them and the ones that received the most views. One is on Karl Barth (all), another with Wolfhart Pannenberg (Moltmann & Pannenberg dialogues and Chapter 15), another on my sermons (Colossians 1:1-14, Luke 15, Luke 19:28-40), and another that simply contains my ponderings (Presidential election, Star Trek). I invite you to become a member and make comments.

            One of the studies done at Cross~Wind that was particularly meaningful to me was the Jesus Creed. People still refer to the powerful quality of that congregational study. It has re-focused my understanding of the heart of the teaching of Jesus.

            I note that much of my preaching was from Luke-Acts, plus a series on Galatians, Colossians, and Pastoral Epistles.

            The Wesleyan Covenant Association was a wonderful event. I felt myself at home in this classic expression of Christian belief and life.

            I enjoyed the Advent and Christmas season at Cross~Wind, as we focused on the traditional words of Hope, peace, joy, and love with the Advent Prayer Tree. It was particularly powerful for me to share my prayer this year regarding each of these words. The spirit of our Christmas Eve service and even Christmas Day was a wonderful celebration of the birth of Jesus.

            Triple S has continued to be a joy. We studied the Old Testament history through the lens of the Ten Commandments. We then studied the General Epistles, minus the letters of John, which we studied the previous year. This group has been such a blessing in my life at Cross~Wind. Unfortunately, the Fall has seen a reduction in numbers due to the health of many of its members. These are such dear persons to the group and to the church.

            Upward Soccer was wonderful this year, as always. Our carnival at the end was a rousing success.

            I officiated at five funerals this year and one wedding.

            I have continued my involvement in the Annual Conference by Our Life Together, Annual Conference, Clergy Covenant Renewal, and the District Committee on Ministry.

            I have continued my reading of Presidential biography. I have gotten up to half way through Lincoln. I found out why the period leading up to the Civil War is the “Jackson Era.” Every president had a direct connection to Andrew Jackson, and that connection is largely why America could not resolve the slavery issue peacefully. I am writing my reflections on these presidents as I read the biography.

            In other reading, Nudge by Richard Thaler and Cass Sunstein, had an interesting way of presenting options while maintaining freedom. Philip Clayton, Transforming Christian Theology. For Church and Society was good on worldviews. David Brooks, The Road t Character, had some good insights.

            My reading groups this year have been on my two favorite theologians, Karl Barth and Wolfhart Pannenberg. It has been like heaven. These two groups have also brought me to reflect upon Moltmann and Bultmann in a new way. It has led to refining my two major documents, on Karl Barth and Church Dogmatics and the other that I presently call George World View. David Congdon, The Mission of Demythologizing, has been particularly helpful in giving a re-appraisal of the thought of Bultmann. He also wrote The God Who Saves, which is a sketch of a dialectical theology rooted in Bultmann rather than Barth. It was helpful to read a young theologian trying to recover a form of theology that most of us put behind us.

            Suzanne and I had the best vacation ever at Sebring, FL, which became home base for trips to Siesta Key, Port St. Lucy, and Dunedin. Randy, Suzanne’s son, had a heart attack this year. This led to him and his wife staying with us a few months. Tim, Suzanne’s other son, continues to live with us. Both young men are truckers. Lynn and Cindy came for a few days. It was a joy to have them with us! Michael and David are in Indianapolis. David and Kari, with children Nia, Henry Owen, and Edith Annalyn, seem to be doing well. We had a nice time celebrating birthdays at the beginning of December.

            The big news of the year was the election of Donald Trump. I will not extend my political thoughts here. I tuned out of politics on TV or radio. I kept up with some articles that I receive. Suzanne was excited about Trump. I have not been. As a political conservative, his personal offensiveness, my personal dislike of him, and my concern for the liberal quality of his policies, meant I was not enthusiastic about this election. I was an observer rather than participant. I am glad for the depth of the GOP victory, not only at the national level, but also at the state level. In fact, the focus on Hillary and Donald has masked the depth of Democrat defeat. I am not tolerant of people who think of either America or conservatives as racist. I have such persons in my immediate family, and the hatred exhibited toward America and Trump voters is simply not acceptable behavior in a republic. As for me, given the cabinet choices thus far, I remain hopeful. For some of my friends, the opposite is the case. In either case, I hope we can pray for the political leadership of this country, the state, and local government.

            On the self-care side of things, I continue to exercise faithfully, mostly with P90x2 exercises, the total gym, and an occasional visit to Anytime Fitness. I continue to have a vegie/fruit drink of my concoction for breakfast. Of course, the two reading groups, preparation for sermons and Bible study, keep my mind active.

            For entertainment, we went to Mary Poppins production at McHale. We made our yearly pilgrimage to the fair. We have a theater a couple blocks away that has been very good for this community. We support it well. We also watch Netflix. To give an idea of some of the things we have liked this year, hear is a list.

The Maze Runner: Scorch Trials                                 Cinderella
Uncanny                                                                      Ant-Man
The Martian                                                                 The Returned Season 1
Game of Thrones                                                        Alive
Bridge of Spies                                                           Room
Agatha Christie’s Poirot                                             S.W.A.T.
Elizabeth                                                                     Fear the Walking Dead Season 1
Freedom                                                                      Spotlight
The Big Short                                                              The Messengers Season 1
Begin Again                                                                Ashby
Captain America: Civil War                                        Nikita Season 4
Falling Skies                                                                Stranger Things
Joy                                                                              Limitless Season 1
Deepwater Horizon                                                     The Jungle Book
Batman vs Superman                                                  Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
Marcella Season 1                                                       Scream Season 2
Unexpected                                                                 Central Intelligence
Containment   Season 2                                              Glitch
Arrow  Season 3                                                          Zootopia
Allied                                                                          Hacksaw Ridge
Arrival                                                                        iZombie
The 100 Season 3                                                        Lucky Number Slevin
Compulsion                                                                 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
Passengers                                                                   Borgia, Season One
Medici Season 1                                                         The Crown Season 1
The Flash, Season 2                                                    Good Witch Season 1
Intruder                                                                       Nanny McPhee
Gotham, Season 2                                                       Dark Matter Season 2
Longmire Season 5                                                    Supernatural Season 11
Bones Season 11                                                         The Walking Dead Season 6
The Ranch Part 2                                                        Beauty & the Beast Season 4
The Blacklist Season 3                                              Midsomer Murders Series 18
Once Upon a Time Season 5                                       Criminal Minds Season 11
Between Season 2                                                       Revenge Season 4
ZNation season 2                                                        Bloodline Season 2
Daredevil Season 2                                                     Flashpoint Season 5
Bates Motel Season 3                                                 The Following Season 3
Helix season 2                                                             Person of Interest Season
Moana                                                                         Deadpool

No comments:

Post a Comment