Thursday, May 18, 2017

4 reflections on retirement




As I near retirement, I find that I am in a reflective mood. I have written a blog for those interested at https://plastererpondering.blogspot.com/2017/02/pondering-retirement-july-2017.html

Like all persons, I have had my joys and sorrows. The therapy of everyday life and the therapy of being part of the Body of Christ have worked healing, guidance, and liberation. Like many pastors, I have learned that your greatest supporters are not the first ones you meet when you enter a church. I have learned that church people can disappoint you. I have also learned that pastors can disappoint themselves as well as their congregations. Such experiences keep leading me back to Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Life Together. We need to love the real church and real people. I have seen pastors become cynical and determined not to be that way. I lived through the disappointments of making changes in worship styles for the sake of the mission of the church. I have had to face my shortcomings and sins. I have learned that the best sermons are the ones that have spoken to me first. I would encourage any pastor to give proper attention to the family, for they are the constants in your life. I have learned that my love for Jesus and the Bible have been my constants through the many changes of an adult life. United Methodist pastors tend to have several appointments to congregations by various bishops. Like many other pastors, I have learned that when you move, you make some people sad and some people happy. I will say that I think a forgiving and graceful approach to conflict in the church will serve the pastor better than joining in any bitterness and anger that may arise.

First, you can enjoy your life, even when it surprises you. I want you to know that through all the up and down, hills and valleys, twists and turns, I have enjoyed what I have done with my life. I am thankful for the people whose lives have intersected with mine. I hope they are thankful for their lives intersecting with mine.

Second, keep learning. The primary focus of my learning has been following Jesus. I have sought to help people follow Jesus with greater clarity and depth. This has meant inviting people to have a personal relationship with Jesus and to make the Bible an important part of their lives.

Third, we experience phases in adult life. Such phases bring losses that cause grief combined with new adventures. Another phase of my life is beginning. I want to live it well. Such phases remind me that a human life is a series of endings and beginnings. The beauty of this truth is that the page I wrote yesterday does not determine the page I write today. Many things I need to leave behind, for if I carry them with me into retirement they will become a weight that will make it harder than it needs to be. I have much for which to ask forgiveness. I also have much gratitude. The life I have lived has been difficult and complex. I think that is true of most lives. However, behind the complexity is the simplicity of discovering what truly matters. You discover the values that guide your life.

Fourth, be sure to relax.

As I look back, some dreams I need to put aside. They served me well for that time. The time has passed. I need to let them go in the spirit of an old friend who has served the purpose of keeping me moving in the right direction. I hesitatingly suggest that our dreams carry us along through the various stages of life. If a dream is like a river, then we must not settle for the safety of the shore. We must sail where the dream takes us. I have had people ask me what I am going to do in retirement. I do not know – yet. I know I will want to relax. I will want to continue learning and helping other people learn. I think I will want to see if I can get published some of the things I have written. I will continue with my blog. Let us see where the Spirit leads. Some doors that seemed closed may open. Some dreams that seemed to have died may find a way toward rebirth. I do not see clearly the past or the future. Only God has eyes to see that clearly.

I invite you to reflect upon the stage of life in which you find yourself. How are you doing with enjoying, learning, transitions in life, and relaxing?  

No comments:

Post a Comment