Thursday, April 14, 2011

Atlas Shrugged, Part I

            What would happen if a political philosophy became victorious that considered it wrong to be an heroic, creative, and productive individual? Such a political environment might make it almost impossible for new businesses to start, would look negatively upon competition, and would not allow the accumulation of wealth. It might squeeze out all individuality in order to elevate the common good.
Such is the theme of Atlas Shrugged, the 1957 book by Ayn Rand.
            Two things have motivated me to share a few blog entries concerning Atlas Shrugged. One was an email exchange I had with Christian author and financial advisor Gary Moore. He wrote an article for Christianity Today on Rand, and we had a respectful disagreement about what he wrote. His approach was that there was some “juice” in Rand, but it was laced with strychnine. To drink any will poison you. I have enough of the contrarian in me that he wetted my appetite to read it. The book had been on my “to read” list for decades. However, since he was so strong in his opposition, I, of course, had to read it. Contrary to his position, I think Christians can read Rand in the same discerning way they must read all philosophers, but especially when they are atheist. From my perspective, the prevenient grace of God suggests that the atheist can get something right about human nature and life.
            The second thing that motivates this blog is the movie to be released, based upon this novel.
A potential reader of this blog may not be aware of who Ayn Rand is. One can watch the movie of her life and get some sense of how she lived her life. She was not only atheist, but sensual. I find her more zealous fans a hindrance. As I understand it, “Randians” can be intellectually arrogant and so ideologically committed that they are of little practical effect. Such features of Rand, I am sure, are a hindrance to people appreciating the political philosophy she expresses in Atlas Shrugged.
On the positive side, she has a robust view of the nobility of the human being, especially of human rationality. . Productivity, work, and wealth are so often denigrated today, even though they are such important ways of improving life on this planet. Humanity has a noble purpose in being here, and Rand, along with Plato, Aristotle, Aquinas, Kant, and Hegel, stress this nobility. So many human beings settle for so little, while Rand refuses to let us do that. In the end, Mr. Moore admitted that "some people" can separate "the juice from the poison." I would encourage readers to receive the juice she has to offer.
To state my philosophical problem with Rand briefly, we are social creatures. Aristotle, in fact, in his work Poetics, says that the ability to imitate others is a gift that distinguishes humanity from other creatures. We learn how to be human from what others do and say. Aristotle and many others in the ancient world wrote on friendship, recognizing this social dimension to human life. Yet, even here, Rand has found a way to attract people to her position. In this case, what is attractive is that she figures out a way to assert the human will against the forces of nature, as science describes it. She presents human life as a struggle, for we are simply organisms that come into this world, must struggle to survive in the brief time we have, and then die. For her, the fact that there is no meaning or purpose to human life generally means that it will take courage to live the life one has now. One must face this meaningless life and celebrate one’s self and body, using the mind one has, to do – whatever one chooses to do with one’s life. For some, the challenge to be an heroic individual, standing against the majority, will always attract a following.
            Yet, I submit that none of this philosophy explains the reason for the continuing challenge that Ayn Rand presents to her readers in Atlas Shrugged. In fact, I submit that her atheist, sensual, and egoistic philosophy is a barrier for many people who could benefit from grappling with what I think is her core insight. I also submit that authors like Gary Moore who “warn” people of her general philosophy do so in order to keep people away from the powerful point she makes about the role of government in the lives people. In particular, she has great concern for the “unintended consequences” that an over-regulated and over-taxed economy will have on the primary engine of capitalism, namely, its producers and entrepreneurs. 
            I have just a few more blogs to share about the contents of this book that I find challenging when it comes to developing a political philosophy.

6 comments:

  1. I don't know that warning people about Rand's view of government was what Mr. Moore was primarily concerned about, but maybe you did uncover something in personal e-mails. I found the CT article a helpful counterbalance to N. American Christians who too readily subscribe to a particular political ideology and then force the Bible/Jesus/the Good News into it. Of course, this "cuts both ways" as we both know :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend on facebook said: George, been years since I read Atlas, have to read it again. You have some good insights here. I've always found it odd that some well-meaning Christians attempt to censor books (and like you, these are the ones I then go out and read). Same with movies. But a society or religion that can't grapple with ideas found in novels/plays/movies is very weak in my way of thinking. We might need to read to offer another opinion or value.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Athada, yes, a mennonite and pacifist theological tradition is every bit as narrow element of the Christian tradition as is fundamentalist. The comment from Todd has caught my concern as to the emails with Moore. Gary and you would probably share much in political ideology. I am inferring his motivation for wanting to keep people from reading her book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since I mentioned Gary Moore, and a friend noted the article, let me quote my response to the article.

    Gary:
    I hope the following is not too long. However, I did find your article in Christianity Today interesting and thought I would respond.

    I find it rather refreshing that Ayn Rand is finding another readership at this time in history. As you note in your article, her full-blown philosophy is not one to which Christians can subscribe. However, what I found lacking in your article is that people are not re-finding Rand because of that philosophy. Rather, they are rebelling against the stifling effect of regulation and taxation, along with the staggering amount of debt incurred by government. I did not find in your article, for example, any acknowledgment that the recession was largely due to the housing bubble, which in turn was caused by the failure of government, through Fannie Mae and Freddie Mack. The persistent beating that politicians give to private enterprise and the wealthy (the producers of this society), while also seeking to live off the tax revenues they provide. My recent reading of Atlas Shrugged was interesting in that I found many of the concerns expressed in the book the same concern that people have today of the intrusion of government into personal wealth and an overbearing approach to the free contracts into which people engage. Generally, I will come down on the side of freedom. For me, that is what the market is for: millions of individuals freely making choices, which have the result of shaping the economic plan of the nation. I like that, as over against a few politicians and higher level bureaucrats making such decisions for the rest of us.

    Yes, Rand goes too far in saying that reason is the only absolute. However, rationality is a wonderful gift of the evolution of life on this planet (or gift of God) that many people denigrate. I think it wonderful that she reminds us that human mind is wonderful and powerful thing.

    Yes, human productivity is just one facet of human activity. Yet, in the mix of moral thinking and behavior, developing loving relationships in the home, and organizing just social arrangements of society, is it not marvelous what human beings can produce? I believe Francis Bacon also thought of science and technology as a marvelous way of enhancing the daily lives of the masses.

    Yes, humanity is sinful and wretched. Yet, do you not find refreshing that people like Rand, and I would also count Aristotle, Kant, and Hegel, believe in the nobility of the human project? So many people today settle for so Little.

    Your quote from Pat Robertson is interesting. "The aim of free people everywhere is to limit the power and scope of the government in any way they can." I find nothing with which to disagree here. Scary thought, since I do not like his theology. But on this point, he is on target.

    I am not so sure that it has ever been easy to integrate belief and practice. However, where I think I rather strongly disagree with you at the end of your article is that the government is de-forming people morally by taking so much of their income so that many of us find it difficult to provide for ourselves, let alone be generous with others. When government takes from people who produce and give to those who do not, it is punishing those who act responsibly and morally and often rewarding the opposite. Such an approach actually de-forms people morally and spiritually.

    Of course, with the government acting as it presently is, Atlas may well "shrug." We are building a house of cards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/11_16/b4224045265660.htm?chan=magazine+channel_11_16+-+how+to+pay+no+taxes_11_16+-+how+to+pay+no+taxes

    I found this link on a liberal website, but to avoid any ideological reactions, I will post the underlying facts reported by BusinessWeek, namely that the effective tax rate for the richest 400 Americans dropped from 30 to 17% from 1995 to 2007. It has also dropped significantly for the top 1% (1.4 million people).

    Whatever our attitudes towards the wealthiest in our society, their tax burden has dramatically fallen. Tea partiers, take heart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Atlas Shrugged compels the reader to reflection, regardless of one's political or philosophical position. Personally, however, I find Rand's vision of heroism to be transparently lacking, given her extreme brand of utilitarianism. Buzz surrounding the latest screen version of the novel has more to do with conservatives' obsession with capitalism than human virtue.

    ReplyDelete