Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Taking Confession LIghtly?


What is the one thing you have done that nobody else can ever know about?

            Gulp. The mere thought inspires a hard swallow and a pounding heart. Rest at ease. There are now quick and convenient, anonymous and even aesthetic ways to deal with those nagging sins of yours: cyberspace confessions. Think of an online confessional booth as an electronic Post-it-Note. Those ever-present Post-its have brought a sticky, yellow-pad revolution to the absent-minded office worker. What might Post-a-Sin do for the busy and guilt-laden pilgrim in need of conscience cleansing? Have some slip-ups to shake loose and cannot make it down to the parish priest? No problem. Just have them absolved by posting them online at an e-confessional. You are just a few keystrokes away from a clean slate.

            What if you are more of the artsy type who needs to get something off your chest? Again, cyber-reality has a perfect solution for you. There is a Web site where you can submit a postcard-sized artistic rendering of your transgressions. Just include a statement of the issue that you need to reveal — and by all means — you must keep it anonymous. Then these ownerless mail-in confessions are posted on the site so others can read your acknowledgment and admire the way you aesthetically captured it. A comment from a regular of the site reads: “I love this Web site … makes me feel everything I’ve done is closer to human. I wish they would expand and update more often then once a week. I look forward to the new postings as they open up my eyes each time.”

            What a voyeuristic bonus! Would you like to hear some confessions? 

• I removed the book jackets from trashy novels so that I look more sophisticated.
• If something is hard, I give up and have a snack.
• I wish my daughter loved me.
• I was once so lonely that I mailed a letter to myself telling me I was great and signed it from Johnny Depp. 

      The rest of the world can get online and appreciate the splendor of your sinful actions. And consider the therapeutic benefits here. Others can go look at the hideousness of what you confessed and instantly feel better about their own minor mishaps and   peccadilloes. Who needs a priest or a time of prayer anymore? And why bother with an expensive therapist to improve self-esteem? No need to visit the local art gallery. We can get all of those needs met in one place. Anonymous, artistic, confessional and voyeuristic.

Oh, this is brilliant.

            It is no wonder that reality television dominates the Nielsen ratings. We love to wallow in other people’s garbage. It entertains us. It shocks us. It makes us feel better about ourselves. So why not bring the same benefits to confession? Quick. Easy. And tasty as well.

            Confession of sin is important, of course, and we must not make light of it.  One writer used this analogy.

 A few years ago, my wife and I discovered that we had termites in our house. We had just bought this house a short time earlier, and yes, as part of the purchase contract we had it inspected for termites. The inspector found no evidence of a problem at that time, so we bought it with confidence. Unfortunately, there were some uninvited guests moving in at the same time we did. We couldn’t see them. No one knew they were there. But hidden away in the darkness, an army of termites was busy invading that house ....

The areas of sin in my life are very much like the termites in my house. The sin was there when I came to Christ, but it was hidden. I looked okay on the outside, and no one would have thought I had a problem with sin. Even I didn’t recognize it. Just like my house passed its inspection a year ago, the people who knew me thought I was a pretty good person  — and I suppose by outward standards I was. But deep down in my soul, little bits of sin were there, gnawing away at me. One tiny termite doesn’t eat very much. Unless you leave it alone for a while, and it invites friends. Then it will destroy your house. My “little” sins were acting just the same.

Now that I am over being upset about the termites, I am actually glad that we found them. If they had not broken to the surface, we would not have known to call the exterminator. They would have just kept eating away until our house fell completely apart. It’s just the same with sin.[1]  

 



[1]Steve Rogers, “Termites of sin,” steverogers.org. Retrieved October 18, 2002.

No comments:

Post a Comment