Friday, May 22, 2015

Share the Call

           
            Several events have come together over the past two weeks that have made me reflect upon the notion of calling, for which a synonym is vocation, life’s work, or even mission.  
            Bishop Mike asked clergy throughout Indiana to reflect upon our call on Pentecost Sunday, May 24, 2015. During the months since he encouraged clergy to do this, I have wondered how I would share. After all, I have told the story in every church, usually more than once, how I sensed the call of God on my life at the close of a worship service when I was 18 and attending Miltonvale Wesleyan College in 1970. It was a quiet nudge, and I am grateful I listened. I had another nudge or hunch to talk with the District Superintendents of the South Indiana Annual Conference in 1976 while I was a student at Asbury. I eventually learned that mom and Pastor Joe Matt, of Austin, MN, had been praying that I would be open to what they thought God wanted in my life. At that point, I became grateful for their prayers.
Yet, I have never wanted anyone to think that a sense of calling or vocation was open only to clergy. One can find a sense of calling in many tasks, jobs, and careers. One person who has recently taught me about this is Marcel Proust.
Among the surprises in the journey of the past few months has been the reading of a long novel. I started it in the summer of 2014 and did not finish until spring 2015. I had a long stretch where I had gotten bored, so I stopped. I knew I would come back - eventually. Thus, it took me a while, but I final read Marcel Proust (1871-1922) Remembrance of Things Past, more recently retitled, In Search of Lost Time. The novel is part of a lifetime reading plan list on which I have been working since the mid-1990s. Most people, I think, rather than reading all seven volumes, stop with the first volume, Swann’s Way. Surprisingly, the lifetime reading plan suggested this. However, this would be a mistake, for one would miss the primary thrust of the novel. I have learned that one might adopt the reading hypothesis that the long novel is in the form of an ellipse, one focus being the search and the second the visitation. The tale about time is the tale that creates the relation between these two foci of the novel. The character of the novel arises out of the apprenticeship to signs (defined by Gilles Deleuze as signs of the social world, signs of life, signs of sensuous impressions, and signs of art) and to the irruption of involuntary memories. It represents the form of interminable wandering, interrupted by the sudden illumination that retrospectively transforms the entire narrative into the invisible history of a vocation. Time, which seemed lost in the wandering, becomes something that is at stake again as soon as it is a question of making the inordinately long apprenticeship to signs correspond to the suddenness of a belatedly recounted visitation, which retrospectively characterizes the entire quest as lost time.[1]
Thus, we come to the second part of the twin foci of the ellipse that is the form of this novel. We come to the final volume, “The Past Recaptured,” (“Time Regained”). We learn that the hero of the story suddenly realizes, in an epiphany or visitation, that his speculation on time has its anchor in the narrative as a founding event in the vocation of the writer. An epiphany that seems to come from outside Time brings the hero to the threshold of time regained. Only the decision to write ends the tension between the time lost/wasted and time regained. The visitation becomes a meditation on the origin of aesthetic creation. It becomes a contemplative moment. Time regained in the sense of lost time revived arises out of fixing this contemplative moment in a lasting work. Artistic creation offers its mediation. The decision to write transposes the extra-temporal character of the original vision into the temporality of the resurrection of time lost. Time becomes the artist that works slowly.[2] Another way to say this is that the narrator recovers the full meaning of his past and thus restores the “lost” time. He has no longer wasted the time he lived, for now it has meaning, as the time of preparation for the work of the writer who will give shape to the unity of his life. The irretrievable past he has now recovered in its unity with the life he yet has to live. Here is an example of how the modern person wants the future to redeem the past, as the future makes the past part of a life story that has a purpose in the midst of a life that seems like senseless wandering. One can take up the past in a meaningful unity.[3] This narrated unity is one in which Proust has struck a deep chord in contemporary imagination.[4] Outside of this epiphany, and prior to it, he cannot bring his life together into the usual story of achievement. The routines of everyday life seem boring. Any job career seems empty. Only by cohering in a way that cuts across time, which joins widely separated moments of epiphany through memory, can his life have a sense that forms the basis of a recovery of the past that stops the wasting of time.[5]
For the hero of this novel and I assume for Proust as well, the sense of calling or vocation focused on his work as a writer. It indeed becomes the life’s work of the author. The discovery of something deeper than simply a job or career is the longing of many people in this technological age.
In fact, a member of the Cross~Wind congregation suggested that I read a recent article by David Brooks. For me, it indicates how deeply this notion of vocation appeals to us today. In describing “a moral bucket list, the experiences one should have on the way toward the richest possible inner life,” he describes the need for a “call within the call.”
We all go into professions for many reasons: money, status, security. But some people have experiences that turn a career into a calling. These experiences quiet the self. All that matters is living up to the standard of excellence inherent in their craft.[6]

Such a notion has religious overtones. People have a calling from God to serve in their unique way. The calling may change and evolve over a lifetime. Some may have a calling to parent young children at one stage, and then have a calling to be leaders beyond the home. Some may serve God in “secular” careers, bringing their sense of the divine to work. Such notions are quite “normal” in the world of the church today.
Several months ago, I had thought I might preach from Ezekiel 37, the well-known vision Ezekiel had of a valley of dry bones. The first phrase took on new meaning. The hand of the LORD came upon me, we find in Ezekiel 37:1. The expression is frequent in the Hebrew Bible, and is a favorite of the prophet Ezekiel (1:3, 3:14, 3:22, 8:1, 33:22, 37:1, 40:1). The phrase also denotes the divine presence in a negative way — the hand of the LORD is often “against” someone or something (e.g., Judges 2:15; Ruth 1:13; I Samuel 5:9). The expression has clear directive implications, with the “hand of the LORD” functioning synonymously with what we would call “divine providence” or “the divine will.”
For Proust and Brooks, calling or vocation arises out of you. They have understood an important aspect of calling. Yet, Ezekiel wants us to turn our gaze away from ourselves and to the sense of a divine will for our lives. Of course, we may be good at something, we may need to make money doing something, we may love to do something, and we may even see the need in the world that we can help address. Yet, a sense of calling or vocation is at the center of this discussion. I am not just writing about a job or career. I am writing about my sense of my life’s work. In doing so, I am asking the reader about his or her life’s work. The sense of call within a call, the experience of an epiphany, may come early or late in life, but I hope it will come. It may be a dramatic, unmistakable moment. It may also be a quiet nudge or hunch that we think might be from God. Am I open to feeling the hand of the Lord upon me? If I am, will I be willing to follow where the hand of the Lord leads (nudges) me? This is far more than simply for clergy, although that is important as well. In any job, in any task we accept, let it be with a sense that the hand of the Lord is upon us.



[1]  (Ricoeur, Time and Narrative, 1984, 1985), Volume 2, 131-32.
[2]  (Ricoeur, Time and Narrative, 1984, 1985), Volume 2, 141-47.
[3]  (Taylor, 1989), 51.
[4]  (Taylor, 1989), 106.
[5]  (Taylor, 1989), 464.
[6] David Brooks, “The Moral Bucket List,” New York Times, April 11, 2015.

1 comment:

  1. Facebook Friend: I liked your thoughts. I think each of us has a vocation that we need tho find.out is what works for an individual. I told many son find what you would for nothing Then get paid for it.
    That's what I did.

    ReplyDelete