Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Hope and Old Age

One day when John Quincy Adams, one of America's early presidents was 80 years of age, a friend met him on a street in Boston.  "How is John Quincy Adams?" the friend inquired.  "John Quincy Adams him-self is very well, thank you.  But the house he lives in is sadly dilapidated.  It is tottering on its foundations.  The walls are badly shattered, and the roof is worn.  The building trembles with every wind, and I think John Quincy Adams will have to move out of it before long.  But he hiimself is very well." 
Consider that Golda Meir was 71 when she became Prime Minister of Israel.   George Bernard Shaw was 94 when one of his plays was first produced.  Benjamin Franklin was a framer of the U.S. Constitution at the age of 81. Thomas Edison was still making pioneering discoveries at 83.  Michaelangelo was 80 years of age when he designed the dome for St. Peter's.  Goethe was 81 when he finished Faust.  And Pablo Cassals at the age of 93 was still practicing the cello five or six hours a day.  Someone said, "Pablo, why do you practice the cello?  You're 93!"  He said, "Because I think I'm making some progress!"  
Agatha Christie, the late mystery writer who married H.E. Mallowen, the famous archeologist, who once quipped, "There are some tremendous advantages to marrying an archeologist--for one thing, the older you get, the more interested he becomes in me."
A 103-year-old woman told her doctor after her annual check-up: "See you next year."  The doctor kiddingly replied, "What makes you so confident about that?"  And she said: "How many 103-year-olds do you see dying?"
Arie Brouwer, prior to his death from colon cancer in 1993 at age 58, was a leader in the Reformed Church in America, and had formerly been general secretary of the National Council of Churches. In his final months, he wrote:

"These days I hold out very little hope for my cancer to be cured. I haven't given up, but the statistics steadily weigh in ever heavier against it. In spite of all that, I find my feelings of hope undiminished! How do I explain that even within the household of faith, to say nothing of a skeptical world? How do I keep people from feeling as I speak of this, or as they read this, that I am clutching at a straw? That I am deceiving myself, using hope as a form of escapism from the harsh reality of terminal illness and death? How do I communicate that in truth we do not sorrow as those who have no hope (1 Thessalonians 4:13)? I believe that death is not the end, not the last word. ...

"Having believed all of this for many years, my feelings of hope are strong. I am not filled with dismay or anger or bitterness. This is true in spite of the aching disappointment I feel related to the people I want to be with and the things I would like to do in this life ... This experience of hope in spite of everything is to me even more important than the experience of faith in spite of everything. ... I am profoundly grateful for both."

Life is a continuum, not a discrete series of breaks.  Old age should not be another period like infancy, adolescence, or maturity.  Ideally, it should be a summation of the whole, a flowering experience of fulfillment.  It should include and represent the earlier periods, but not obliterate them.  There is nothing superior about youthfulness.  It is a stage neither to cherish nor to reject.  We should incorporate within us, along with all the other stages that go to make up the full spectrum of our total person.  This is obviously what Browning had in mind when he sang: "Grow old along with me!  The best is yet to be" (from poem Rabbi Ben Ezra).
Life is a flow, not a dead-end street.  Added years are added opportunities, but you have the responsibility to use them creatively.  If you make a full-time job of trying to appear youthful, you are actually making a business of age.  But age is none of your business.  Your true business is "the express business," becoming a creative channel for the flow of life.
The Easter message tells us that our enemies--sin, the curse and death--are beaten.  Ultimately, they can no longer start mischief.  They still behave as though the game were not decided, the battle not fought; we must still reckon with them, but fundamentally we must cease to fear them any more.[1]



[1] Karl Barth, Dogmatics in Outline, 123.  

No comments:

Post a Comment