Saturday, October 15, 2016

Pondering Wesleyan Covenant Assoc


           

            I had the honor of traveling to Chicago on October 7, 2016 to be part of the first gathering of the Wesleyan Covenant Association. I also “joined something any laity, congregation, or church can do. The particular concern is some of the issues that have divided the United Methodist Church.

            It has been a long time since I have been part of a United Methodist gathering where I actually wanted to be in the meeting. I do not mean to be negative, but the contrast was clear in my behavior. When I go to most gatherings of the Indiana Annual Conference, the best thing I receive is conversation with people whom I have not seen in a while. In Chicago, 1800 people met from around the globe and heard powerful preaching and music. It was good to be with people with whom you felt kinship and that you were looking in the same direction.

            We also heard presentations that clarified what the group was doing. As I understood it, the bishops have appointed a commission that will make a proposal to a specially called General Conference in 2018. The bishops did this as a charge from the previous General Conference. What struck me was that this group is primarily interested in the “next Methodism.” Their focus is the next thing. I was ready for that. United Methodism has been hurting for a long time over theological, organizational, and sexual matters. Over the past decade, progressives have gotten to the point where breaking covenant, represented by our Book of Discipline, is OK. In fact, breaking covenant has become a justice issue for them. I saw this when I attended General Conference in Tampa in 2012. The Western Jurisdiction put an exclamation mark on the sacred nature (as they see it) of breaking covenant in the election of a gay bishop.

            Rob Renfroe stressed that the themes of the WCA are the uniqueness of Christ, the Bible as our standard, the radical notion of believing what the UMC says it believes, and the Wesleyan way of head and heart, piety and social holiness. He stressed that change is coming. He stressed that this is “our” time to be bold. I heard much about “Jesus-loving and Spirit-filled,” and I received that description from a colleague, for which I felt honored.

            It may be my stage of life, but it made me reflect upon the decisions I made as youth. At 10, I asked Jesus into my heart. My pastor prayed with me. The church and Christian schools nurtured me in that relationship. Like most people, I have been tempted to go elsewhere, but I keep circling back to Jesus. The other decision I made was that at 15 I asked my parents to purchase a study Bible. They were not as plentiful and varied then as they are now. I started on a journey with the Bible. Of course, the temptation is always there to make a philosophy or a political ideology primary in my life, but I keep circling back to the Bible. Preaching and teaching from the Bible have been a steady source of spiritual food and drink. I have sought to live my life in accord with it. I keep trying to understand it and apply it as the sacred book of my life, but always with the awareness of its sacredness to people whom I hold in high regard and to the broader 2000 years of church history.

I concluded long ago that it was time for some dramatic action. I am not yet sure what that action will be. One surprise I received, however, was that some very good minds have put themselves to the task of focusing upon the next thing rather than continuing the old fights. United Methodism has spent far too much energy on fighting each other. Re-focusing energy upon mission in the world will be a breath of fresh air.

It was such a pleasure to see representatives from Africa, as well as their participation in music and preaching. The global nature of United Methodism has been an important element of the internal debate.

I appreciated the broadening of the theological perspective from the articles of religion, confession of faith, and the 52 Standard Sermons of Wesley to include reciting the Nicean Creed.

I think the group shows its respect of the process by working and waiting until the General Conference in 2018. Leaders on both sides in the UMC seem prepared to recognize that we are at a point where division needs to happen. No one knows what the commission will propose. WCA is already fashioning its publishing house and board of discipleship. It had the support of several bishops. 

Of course, in the meantime, I am ready to pray and do my small part.

I wish peace for the UMC, for the WCA, and for the next Methodism.

No comments:

Post a Comment