Saturday, October 18, 2014

October 12-18, 2014 reflections

The question guiding me this week is: What surprised me?

This week, Men of Integrity magazine surprised me a bit with selections from a book by Ian DiOrio, Trivial Pursuits. He wanted to expose the meaningless trappings of culture. He thinks that too many are content with the small portrayal of God and the actions of God in the world. The surprise was his definition of the trivial as that which you can find everywhere, having no depth or real beauty. The Key study passage was Proverbs 4:5-7, 15:14, 18:15 and the need to develop wisdom in the use of the material culture provides us.

I have some surprise that two things are happening together physically. My right shoulder continues to hurt when I put it in certain positions, while my exercises are going better, especially yoga and total gym. I continue going to Anytime Fitness.

Suzanne and I had the pleasure of couple visiting us for a few hours. That was a nice surprise. They graciously treated us at Applebees. The conversation flowed easily. We tentatively set a date for a visit to them in Michigan.

I was certainly surprised by the ending of Homeland, Season 3. It made sense that Carrie loses the things that matter in her life, but still, that was tough.

Locally, many people can imagine that much of time has been with the Galland family. It has been surreal journey, moving from his fall on Thursday, his successful surgery on Friday, a good talk and prayer on Thursday night and Saturday morning, and a massive stroke early Sunday morning. We had a circle of prayer around his bed on Sunday afternoon. He died on Tuesday night and his memorial service was Friday. A great turnout of family and friends. Wonderful meal provided at the church.

Charge Conference was at Main Street UMC.
My surprise here was that we had one of the best charge conferences of which I have had the privilege of participating. I thought we had a good turn out of the five churches involved. The focus was the outwardly focused church. The book was Get Their Name. Chris asked us to consider when we experienced the love of God, where we were, how old we were, what was going on around us, what happened to us, and who took us there. Asking and answering these questions will go a long way toward developing your personal story that you can then share with others.

I went to choir practice and had several good talks with individuals. The choir will sing Because We Believe on Sunday. I received the surprise of a young man whom I have not seen for a while who simply stopped by to say high when he noticed my car there.

My reading group met on Wednesday morning. My surprise here was that we were in large agreement with the insights of our author. We discussed Carl Jung, Modern Man in Search of a Soul. We were completing the psychological part of our journey as we have been exploring philosophers who address matters related to religion. We expanded it to psychology. For me, this lead to re-reading other books: James Hillman, The Myth of Analysis, Karen Horney, Neurosis and Human Growth, M. Scott Peck, The Road Less Travelled, Otto Rank, Truth and Reality, and Rollo May, Love and Will. These book have been a good reminder that while Freud did much good work, later psychotherapists have had to work correct his errors. In particular, his over-extension of sex, his tendency to look upon morality in a negative way, and his negative approach to religion.

Here are some scriptures on which I have been reflecting this week and will lead to the sermon on Sunday. My surprise here was that imagery Jesus used concerning money is leading to what I hope are some helpful and challenging reflections for people on money.

Psalm 99
9 Extol the Lord our God,
and worship at his holy mountain;
for the Lord our God is holy. 

I Thessalonians 1:
{2} We always give thanks to God for all of you and mention you in our prayers, constantly {3} remembering before our God and Father your work of faith and labor of love and steadfastness of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ. 

Matthew 22 {21} "Give therefore to the emperor the things that are the emperor's, and to God the things that are God's.

No comments:

Post a Comment