Saturday, April 22, 2017

First Sermon


Many preachers remember their first sermon.[1] Some people remember it as being particularly bad or cringe-worthy. My first sermon occurred when I was about 19. I was part of a team from my college that went out to share in different congregations. The first sermon was in front of a Native American congregation. I do not remember what I said. We were in South Dakota at Pine Ridge Reservation. I remember most that parents allowed children to run around the congregation. I had a warning that this might happen. I had no objection, but it was distracting. I was nervous, of course. Soon after that, I delivered a sermon at Austin, MN, at the congregation in which I had grown up. I do not remember the sermon, but it was such a privilege to be in that pulpit. In both cases, of course, I wanted to do well. I tried to determine if I was relating.

It is like that old story about a preacher who was leaving a congregation on his last Sunday. At the end of the service, he stood at the door while the people filed out and said their last goodbyes. One woman came to the preacher weeping, full of emotion. The preacher attempted to comfort her. "There, there, sister. Even though I'm leaving, I'm sure the bishop will send you a wonderful preacher." Through her tears she replied, "That's what they've been telling us for 20 years and it ain't happened yet!"

Will Willimon says that a first sermon in a congregation is a lot like a first date -- you want to do well, be impressive, put your best foot forward and not say anything dumb that might endanger the future relationship.
 
It can be a struggle, however, because we know our own struggles and weaknesses very well. We know that, at base, we are not any more qualified than anyone else to speak for God, regardless of that newly framed seminary degree. Therefore, we shake a little, wondering how we came to be standing there with the Word of God on our lips. In fact, the most important thing about every sermon is that the focus is the Word of God and its application to our lives today. We need to trust that the Word of God still speaks, even after this many centuries. We need to preacher naturally, rather than with a preachy voice. We need to keep it relatively short.[2]


[1] Perhaps it is like a doctor performing her first hernia operation – it is not pretty, and it is probably a bloody mess, but she gets it all stitched up and the patient is good as new, better than ever. Maybe preaching that first sermon is like a pilot going solo for the first time or a lawyer giving his first summation to the jury.

No comments:

Post a Comment