Saturday, November 8, 2014

November 2-8 2014


            Today, I want the question with which I am working is what was life-giving for me this week.

            It remains life-giving to exercise physically. I continue with my total gym, free weights, Anytime Fitness, and yoga. I have noticed improvement in my right shoulder. I have gone off my fast this week regarding certain foods. Circumstances demanded this, but I hope to be on it again this week.

            I must say it is life-giving when we as a family can watch some shows together. We completed The Following, Season 2. We also watched Godzilla 2014, which was actually a return to the original franchise of the monster defending humanity. The Edge ofTomorrow, a Tom Cruise movie, shows he can still carry a movie. Of course, for me, the science fiction was wonderful, especially its dealing with time. I also have a show I watch when I am alone. This time, it was Supernatural, Season 9. We went to Interstellar, starring Matthew McConaughey. If you like science fiction and movies that play around with time, this is excellent. Some good surprises along the way. We also watched Draft Day, starring Kevin Costner. If you like NFL or Costner, you will like this.

            It was a life-giving moment to spend some time with Suzanne at Starbucks in Kokomo.


            Worship was life-giving in many ways, both in response to the sermon, with communion, and with the youth group Sunday evening. I found it life-giving to visit with a young family in the hospital. It was life-giving to contact parents of Upward Soccer children. This year, Staff-Parish was life-giving beyond anything I have experienced. It was life-giving to teach Triple S on John Chapter 7. It was life-giving to be part of the Domestic Violence food tasting fundraising event at Cross~Wind with Suzanne, noted in the picture above. We had some good conversation throughout the evening with others. I have been studying throughout the week for sermons, whether for Sunday, for May 2015, or for December. We had some computer issues in the office that I was able to help resolve. Of course, some administrative matters, as with most weeks.
 

            Election Day was life-giving. I still like voting on Election Day. If find that this act of citizenship is one I feel best about when I enter booth in the company of others. It was life-giving as well because the Republican Party did well. This decision came as I went through my 20s, reading people like William F. Buckley Jr., George Will, Walter Williams, Thomas Sowell, and Milton Friedman. Of course, my reading in this area would later expand, but that was the beginning. I note that Mia Love, a black woman, won election in Utah as a member of the House. I also note that Elise Stefinak of NYC is the youngest woman ever elected. Senator Jodi Ernst is the female Senator from IA. Tim Scott is the Senator from South Carolina. The governor of New Mexico is a republican Hispanic. The governor of Louisiana has a heritage from India. The governor of South Carolina is a woman. I also note that in these states, Democrats outspent Republicans. This was true in AK, AR, CO, IA, LA, and NC, the key Senate contests. If you expand beyond the expenditure to non-party expenditures, the Democrat side still well outspent the Republican side. Yet, in these states, the Republicans won. My reason for bringing this up is that you cannot really buy an election. You still have to have an attractive (not a physical reference) candidate who proposes policies to which people respond. I would like to think that the rhetoric of the Republican Party being the party of the wealthy would go away, but it will not. The fact on the ground is that many wealthy, the upper one percent, are Democrat. Further, I would like to think that the success of both women and black Republicans would put the race and gender issue to bed. However, it will not. After all, the Democrat Party was still raising the fear that the Republicans will take away Social Security. What saddens me more is that so many within the black demographic and within the single female demographic seem to believe readily the hype. For me, while the baby-boom generation is highly ambiguous regarding what it has accomplished, has done very well in leading the way for America to repent of its racist and sexist past. Today, a racist would not receive the nomination from either party for anything. In 1950s and 1960s, racists were prominent in the South in the Democrat Party. Further, no one wants to back to women staying at home and relying on the man. The idea of gender war by a political party is ridiculous anyway, for excluding half of the electorate would be suicide. In both cases, the attacks are a smokescreen. The Democrats promote policies regarding domestic programs that have the effect growing dependence on the small amount of government support rather than encouraging people toward self-sufficiency and independence. We need economic policies that promote economic growth. Republicans know how to do that. Regarding women, the policy promoted is abortion. If you want any restrictions on abortion, you are conducting a war on women. My wish is that we have an honest debate regarding the political arrangements of the country and their effect upon culture, family, environment, economic life, and the role of America in the world. I have a small hope that some things might get done. Several bills passed the House with some good Democrat support, but died in the Senate. With some good fortune, bills like that will receive support from both sides of the aisle and go before the President. In terms of election analysis, it matters who turned out. Fewer of the “constituency” of the Democrat Party showed up than in 2012, of course. This led to not just Senate, but governors, more in the House, and, significantly, more in the state houses for Republicans. It seems like Hilliary Clinton is a loser in all of this. Todd Steyer (spelling?) was a big loser as he poured $100 million to Democrat candidates who made climate change a priority.

No comments:

Post a Comment