Saturday, November 1, 2014

October 26-November 1 2014


The question I am asking myself today is What was life-giving this week?

This month is Pastor Appreciation Month. I have been blessed with many cards and personal notes. I have been blessed with cards for Starbucks and for China Lane. One member of the church invited us to their home for a wonderful meal that involved the first time I have had marinated turkey breast.
 
 
On a personal note, physical exercise has long been a life-giving experience for me. I have continued with my exercises involving yoga, Anytime Fitness, and the Total Gym. My right shoulder continues to limit me, but I realize my healing will take time.

It was life-giving to be with other clergy at a retirement seminar. I am close enough to the magical age that I need to attend. I do not want anyone to think I am going to do so this year. However, it is time to think seriously about it. I received what I thought was good news.

The Men of Integrity meditation this week was reflections from Brad Formsma, I Like Giving. The key study passage was II Corinthians 9. Living generously is about giving your life to other people so that everything you do becomes a gift to others and rewarding for yourself. Giving is more than money. Do something generous without anyone telling you. Ask for an opportunity to come your way. I note Buechner, The world says, The More you take, the more you have. Christ says, The more you give, the more you are.

Sunday was an “interesting” day. What was life-giving here was that in the second service, one person with a guitar led us in worship. Although it was out of necessity, it was very nice and different. In addition, our pianist in the first service had us guess the prelude tune. It was the first time she did that, and it was fun. The tune was, O Love that Will Not Let Me Go. From my perspective, we had a good spirit throughout the morning, even if low attendance. I had a brief meeting with Finance people afterward. The Logansport Cluster met for the last time this year. Pastor Dean brought a very nice devotion. We are particularly planning for the Food Truck arrival on November 21, 2014, 4-7. Each church will collect an offering for their part in the cost. We need ten people from each church to help serve. It was particularly life-giving to have the prayer time at the end. I had several administrative matters this week. I have been following up on the cards submitted to Upward Soccer. It has been life-giving for me, and I hope for those I have contacted. I met with cluster clergy at Buffalo Wild Wings in the afternoon on Thursday. We had some serious conversations this time. Yet, it is always life-giving to meet. Met with choir and the director in the evening, which is always life-giving. We have some wonderful messages in music coming up in November and December.

I continue my study of Karl Barth and Church Dogmatics, this time focusing on III.4, a volume that reflects on theological ethics in light of the God the Father is the creator.

I have been studying the book TheBible’s Yes to Same-sex Marriage because of a seminar I plan to attend this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment