Friday, June 30, 2017

Prayer and the Second Chance

Read Acts 15:36-41
36 After some days Paul said to Barnabas, “Come, let us return and visit the believers in every city where we proclaimed the word of the Lord and see how they are doing.” 37 Barnabas wanted to take with them John called Mark. 38 But Paul decided not to take with them one who had deserted them in Pamphylia and had not accompanied them in the work. 39 The disagreement became so sharp that they parted company; Barnabas took Mark with him and sailed away to Cyprus. 40 But Paul chose Silas and set out, the believers[p] commending him to the grace of the Lord. 41 He went through Syria and Cilicia, strengthening the churches.

and II Timothy 4:9-13
Do your best to come to me soon, 10 for Demas, in love with this present world, has deserted me and gone to Thessalonica; Crescens has gone to Galatia, Titus to Dalmatia. 11 Only Luke is with me. Get Mark and bring him with you, for he is useful in my ministry. 12 I have sent Tychicus to Ephesus. 13 When you come, bring the cloak that I left with Carpus at Troas, also the books, and above all the parchments.

        One of the ministries of your mercy, Lord, is the way that a door that seemed closed the last time I looked so often swings open again; including doors I thought someone had probably slammed shut forever.  It will raise my spirits as I move through the day if I bear in mind a truth the years have taught -- the truth that most opportunities knock more than once.  You have fashioned the human story in such a way that we have good reason to expect: 

¨   That the chance will come to show ourselves and others we can do well the task we did so badly the first time around.

¨   That the "never again!" in us or others that shuts down a relationship is likely to soften with time, and a friendship or family bond we thought had died may come to life again.

¨   That if we listen, watch, and wait, and if we do not lock ourselves into grieving over the door that closed, another door will quietly open. 

It comforts me as I enter what happens today to remember that I do not write the effects of what I do or say in indelible ink.  I am grateful that you to whom I pray have shown yourself to be generous with second, third and fourth chances.
                Amen.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment