Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Prayer on Words that Heal


                Read Psalm 19:14.
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
    be acceptable to you,
    O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.


                Strengthen today, Lord, my intention and desire to use the gift of speech in ways that heal and not in ways that wound.  I dare to hope this will be a day when what I say and what I refrain from saying will be governed by that part of me that is wisest and best.
                Help me to shut off before I speak them:

¨   Words that would be loose with the truth, that would exaggerate or misrepresent;
¨   Words that would come out of a cheap egotism, out of a need to impress;
¨   Words that would be designed to manipulate others into doing what would serve me better than it would serve them;
¨   Words that might be true but that the other person is too vulnerable and fragile to hear right now;
¨   Words that would deflect to someone else or to circumstances blame that is rightfully mine to accept. 

Nevertheless, let no timidity or reserve keep me from speaking: 

¨   Words that let those closest to me know I love them;
¨   Words that would support what I believe to be true and good;
¨   Words that would bring honesty and openness into situations and relationships stalemated by the lack of them;
¨   Words that would take note of quiet services that have gone unnoticed;
¨   Words that would reach out with comfort and encouragement to someone life has beaten and broken. 

In these ways, Lord, I pray that my speech and my silence today will be the instrument of your purposes.  Amen.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment