Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Prayers on our Dreams


 
               Read Genesis, chapters 37-50 if you have time.  The story of Joseph is the story of dreams.

I have some dreams I need to put away, Lord.  Perhaps they called for a chain of circumstances that did not happen, and that I now know never will.  Perhaps they called for talents I did not have, and that I now know I never will.  Whatever it was that stood in their way, their time has gone by; any chance of their coming true is over.  Help me to name them and let them go, not as old enemies, many of them, but as old friends, who served the purpose of pushing me in the right direction.

                The shelf-space in my mind they have been filling I need for new dreams.  Wider dreams, dreams more in touch with reality, and dreams right for the person I now am.

                However, no dream will be right that leaves no room for the large or little explosions of grace that can break down walls.  No dream will be right that is so heavy-footed it does not dance at all.  On those shelves left empty by the dreams it is time to put away, let me place such dreams as these: 

¨   . . . the dream that I will sense your presence more clearly and constantly.

¨   . . . the dream that my faithfulness as a disciple will steadily grow.

¨   . . . the dream that the reasons for joy will always seem more persuasive than the reasons for sadness.

¨   . . . the dream that the frustrations of my life will be no match for the fulfillments.

¨   . . . the dream that the future will always hold promises pulling me forward that are stronger than the memories pulling me back. 

None of these is out of reach when the setting of my will combines with the working of your grace.  Help me today to set my will.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment