Saturday, June 17, 2017

Prayer on the Temptation of Self-Pity

                Read I Kings 19:9-15

At that place he came to a cave, and spent the night there.
Then the word of the Lord came to him, saying, “What are you doing here, Elijah?” 10 He answered, “I have been very zealous for the Lord, the God of hosts; for the Israelites have forsaken your covenant, thrown down your altars, and killed your prophets with the sword. I alone am left, and they are seeking my life, to take it away.”
11 He said, “Go out and stand on the mountain before the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by.” Now there was a great wind, so strong that it was splitting mountains and breaking rocks in pieces before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake; 12 and after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire; and after the fire a sound of sheer silence. 13 When Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his mantle and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave. Then there came a voice to him that said, “What are you doing here, Elijah?” 14 He answered, “I have been very zealous for the Lord, the God of hosts; for the Israelites have forsaken your covenant, thrown down your altars, and killed your prophets with the sword. I alone am left, and they are seeking my life, to take it away.” 15 Then the Lord said to him, “Go, return on your way to the wilderness of Damascus; when you arrive, you shall anoint Hazael as king over Aram. 

               Do something to stop me, Lord, if any time today I come close enough to the web of self-pity so that there begins to be a danger I will be stuck in it.  Blow a whistle, hold up a hand, shout a warning, do whatever it takes to stop me.

                I think I understand its seductive power.  I think I understand that when I am feeling sorry for myself, I am usually holding others responsible for the situation in which I find myself.  As long as I can blame them, I spare myself the pain of blaming myself.  As long as I can persuade myself that they, or fate, have put me in the hole in which I find myself, I do not have to accept responsibility. Then it is not so hard to persuade myself that it is up to them, not up to me, to lift me out.

                I also understand that self-pity does not really warm and soothe; it chills and chafes.  It cripples my usefulness, it shrivels my soul, and it chases away my job.  The deeper I bring myself into its depths, the closer to drowning I come.

                Because I know what an insidious enemy self-pity can be, I pray for the strength to drive it away. 

¨   Teach me no promise has been broken, any entitlement denied, when life does not fall into shape according to my dreams.

¨   Teach me what you have promised: that no set of circumstances will ever come to me that will not contain the ingredients necessary for growing a soul (Romans 8:28).  Even when I stand in the rubble of a broken dream, the chance to face my life as a person of faith and courage and goodwill will still be open to me.

¨   Teach me that since you look upon me with compassion, with pity, there is no need to pity myself.  If you are for me who can be against me? (Romans 8:31)

 

Amen.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment