Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Prayer for Perspective


                II Corinthians 12:6-10.
But if I wish to boast, I will not be a fool, for I will be speaking the truth. But I refrain from it, so that no one may think better of me than what is seen in me or heard from me, even considering the exceptional character of the revelations. Therefore, to keep me from being too elated, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me, to keep me from being too elated.  Three times I appealed to the Lord about this, that it would leave me, but he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power[is made perfect in weakness.” So, I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. 10 Therefore I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities for the sake of Christ; for whenever I am weak, then I am strong.

                This will be a better, steadier and healthier day, Lord, if I can keep my sense of proportion sounder than it often is.  I do not ask or want a life in which I am never upset or excited.  Instead, what I ask and want is a life in which I will be upset or excited only when the cause is one that justifies the response.

                For you, a thousand years are as a day, and a day as a thousand years.  Time does not run out for you.  It does run out for me, and so I cannot hope to see as you see.  I cannot hope to measure things as you measure them.  Touch me, I pray, with enough of your vision and wisdom today so that, as the hours move along, I will be able to separate what really matters from what does not.

                May this be a day when:

¨   A minor irritant will trigger only irritation, not smoldering or explosive anger.

¨   I will not brood over each little apparent putdown, each little apparent slight.

¨   My imagination or laziness will not inflate a quite manageable task into a task that seems so large it would push me to my limits.

¨   I will measure my difficulties against the difficulties some other people have to deal with, and not against the fantasy of a life without pain or hardship.

¨   I will see the quiet, patient, easily overlooked loyalty of a family member or friend for the significant thing it is -- a beautiful infusion of grace into my life.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment