Friday, November 17, 2017

Prayer: I come before you with a troubled heart


Lord, you are Lord of all. I come before you with a troubled heart.

  • I regret that I often give lip service to what I believe, speaking of my beliefs only when it is convenient and non-threatening.
  • I admit that though I profess tolerance, I do nothing to enhance the lives of those whom others simply do not tolerate.
  • I profess open-minded and fair thinking and acting, yet I admit that I quickly interrupt and take sides before I have even heard both sides of an argument or issue.
  • I pride myself on church attendance, and hesitate to be the church in my daily life.
  • I say I am willing to try new ways of worship, and I quickly complain that things are not as they used to be.
  • I quickly volunteer to help with a church project, but withdraw my commitment when something better comes along.
  • I stand for tolerance, and then refuse to give respect to one who disagrees with my theology, politics, or moral standards.

I come before you today and confess those things that trouble my mind and heart. You are gracious, so much so that sometimes I wonder how you can tolerate me. I am grateful for the good news that I have new life in Christ, that true confession can lift the burden of a troubled mind and heart, and that I receive your forgiveness offered in the cross. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment