Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Prayer: I praise you for binding me to others


Lord, I praise you for having bound me with humanity in a great unity of life so that each of us must lean on the strength of others. I depend upon the help and work of brothers and sisters for my comfort and safety. I ask for your blessing on all the men and women who have toiled to build and warm my home, to fashion my clothing, and to gain from the sea and land the food that nourishes me. I pray that they may have health and joy. I pray that they have hope and love. I pray such things for my family and me, so I pray such things for them as well. Grant me wisdom to deal justly with every man and woman whom I face in the business of life. Help me not to inflict suffering through selfish indifference or willful ignorance of a callous heart, even if unknowingly. Amen.[1]



[1] Based upon  --Walter Rauschenbusch, The Communion of Saints, ed. Horton Davies (Grand Rapids, Mich.: Eerdmans Publishing, 1990), 121-22.

No comments:

Post a Comment