Sunday, September 3, 2017

Deliver me from my unloveliness

            Lord, your love is unending. Deliver me from the unloveliness of this age. Empower me to love as deeply, broadly, fully, and as completely as you love me. When I encounter the shortcomings and failures of other people, endow me with a spirit of compassion and patience. When I meet those whose perspective or lifestyle is radically different from my own, enable me to see the limitations and inadequacies in my life. When other people disappoint me, remind me of all the ways in which I disappoint you by what I have done and said. Therefore, I might need to throw the mantle of charity over the weaknesses of others. When my sin saddens me, when my failures and shortcomings become clear to me, give me some measure of charity toward myself, even as you have shown unbounded charity toward me. Loving God, I would not know love had I not received your love. I am able to love because your love has flooded into my life in a way that redeems, sustains, and changes. I love because you first loved me. For your never-ending and forbearing love, I give thanks today and every day. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment