Sunday, September 10, 2017

I recoil at the notion that suffering is a natural part of this life



Lord, I admit that I recoil at the notion that suffering is a natural part of this life. I go to great lengths to avoid it. I want to spare those I love the pain, struggle, and discomfort of a human life. Yet, despite my best efforts, when suffering crashes upon me, I do everything in my power to mitigate its impact. I can try to anesthetize it. I may watch too much television. I may turn to alcohol. I may shop until I drop. I may distance myself from people or events that may offer the consolation and guidance I need. I ask today that you grant me the wisdom to embrace suffering as a gift. Help me to receive the lessons that only suffering can bring with a thankful heart. Help me to submit to the growth and maturity that difficulty can bring in my life. I ask for the courage to follow the footsteps of Jesus in this way as well, as he greeted his suffering with dignity, humility, and grace. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment